Our furry companions are there to provide us with love and laughter. Along with their unique personalities, they also have a sensitive digestive system. They can’t eat the same foods as humans as it can make them sick or even cause them to die from poisoning.
You might not think that what you’re feeding them is harmful, but there are several foods that you must avoid giving your pup if you want them to stay healthy.
When it gets scorching outside, you may be tempted to share your ice cream with your four-legged friends. Unfortunately, milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems.
It’s better to give them a bowl of cool water with ice cubes in some funky plates. You can take a look at the latest trends from furry friends gear and spruce up their cooling downtime with new bowl designs.
You might have heard that chocolate is harmful to dogs. The darker the slab, the more dangerous it is to canines. The problem lies not only in the toxicity but also in how much of the sweet dogs ingest.
Unfortunately, hounds aren’t well known for restraint when it comes to food. Some of the common symptoms of chocolate poisoning include:
- Increased thirst
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle tremors
- Irregular heartbeat
- Elevated temperature
- In severe cases, death.
The cocoa treat contains a high concentration of theobromine and caffeine, both of which cause toxicosis.
There’s a grey area with regards to these two treats. Some dogs have no adverse effects from eating grapes or raisins, while it has caused kidney failure in others. It’s best not to take the risk and endanger your pooches life.
Some of the symptoms may include lethargy, diarrhea, and vomiting, which can occur within 12 hours of consumption. If you don’t get your dog treatment quickly, it can lead to dehydration, a loss in appetite, increased urination, then followed by a decrease in urination.
Quick action is essential as your dog can develop long-term kidney disease or even failure, which can be lethal.
Any plant from the onion family is toxic to dogs. They contain compounds that can cause anemia, gastro issues, and seriously damage the red blood cells. Garlic is even more potent than onions.
Signs of poisoning from these seemingly innocent foods often don’t appear for several days. However, if you notice that your dog is weak or lethargic and has orange to red-tinted urine, you must urgently take them to the vet.
Dogs from the Japanese breeds such as Shiba Inus or Akitas are even more sensitive to garlic and onions than other most popular dog breeds.
We love our dogs, and we want what’s best for them, including keeping them away from harmful foods. Avoid dairy products; instead of giving your pup a lick of your ice cream, rather dish up some cool ice cubes in a funky new bowl.
Chocolate and caffeine products are especially harmful to canines, don’t leave any lying around as dogs tend to eat what there is without limits. Keep grapes, raisins, garlic, and onions out of reach of your furry friend.
These foods can cause some severe issues with your pet’s digestive system and cause symptoms that might even lead to death.