Moving is notorious for being one of the most stressful life events. As you uproot your life, your house is a mess, boxes are towering around you, there is a lot to organize, and whatnot. But you are probably moving for a good enough reason, like moving for career advancement, downsizing, or for your family’s bright future. Although moving is one of the most tedious and overwhelming tasks that you can put yourself through, yet it’s achievable.
Whether you move frequently or move for the first time in your lifetime, it can be quite a challenge every time and take a toll on your physical and mental health. A minor mistake may cost you a lot during moving. There is no one-size-fits-all guide to navigating the moving process with all the packing details and moving ideas. However, a general list of moving tips that work for all kinds of people is given below. Keep reading to find some helpful tips for a smoother, exciting, and hassle-free move.
Plan your move ahead of time
If you live in a city where you need to look for a house a few weeks before moving unless you want to pay house rent at two places, you must start planning your move early. Even if you have found your next destination, don’t be tempted to put off packing. It is better to do some work upfront and start packing, purging, and planning to make your move less stressful as soon as you decide to move. If this is your first time moving and you are clueless about planning your move, you can hire moving companies like Moving Options that can help steer your move. Your relocation will be more orderly and convenient if you hire a moving company. When you engage them to pack all of your valuables, you can rest assured that they will arrive safely.
Start packing your stuff
To make the packing and unpacking less stressful, it is imperative to include items to be moved, donated, or sold and start packing early. Listed below are some tips that can accelerate the packing.
- Initiate packing by separating stuff you don’t own, belongs to the house, or needs to be returned.
- Box up the items that belong to a similar category like utensils, toiletries, breakables, etc.
- Make sure to mark each box so that it can be helpful while unpacking.
- Stack items considering their weight.
- Let your clothes hang or keep them in the closet if you are hiring movers. Movers carry the cupboards with care and safety.
- Make a manual for assembling complex appliances and furniture that can also be helpful while unpacking.
Declutter and donate unwanted items
After planning your move comes decluttering. While moving, most people realize that they have more unwanted and unused stuff than they had imagined. Decluttering is pretty useful. However, if you haven’t done it in a long time, utilize a day or two to box up the unwanted stuff. There is no point in carrying boxes from one place to another if they are not used for an extended period. So, it is better to save yourself from unnecessary work, sort out your stuff, and donate the things you no longer need. You can easily look up donating options online to give your clothes and electronics a new home.
File paperwork and transfer utility services
While moving, your important documents might be at the risk of being lost. So making copies of every birth document, passport, insurance paper, tax claim, and so on may seem like a tedious process. It is essential to ensure that your belongings remain secure throughout travel.
The next important task at hand is transferring utilities. Contact the utility providers and ask them to transfer the utility services to your new location. Also, cut off the additional cleaning services like lawn service, pool service, cleaning service, etc.
Save money on your move
Apart from being tiresome and stressful, moves may also cost you a pretty penny. Follow these smart tips to cut down unnecessary expenses while moving.
- Get moving quotes from two or more movers to ensure that you get the best price that suits your budget.
- Try to get free moving supplies like boxes from local retailers or utilize the ones you get from Amazon deliveries.
- Make a price comparison of moving companies against renting a truck or using a portable moving container to find your option.
- Try to be flexible in terms of moving timings. You can save some money by going for a mid-day or mid-week move.
Pack a bag of moving essentials
Chances are you won’t be able to unpack everything on the first day so, take a smart step to avoid tossing boxes to find your toothbrush and fretting over little things. Pack a bag with stuff you would frequently need during your move and right after reaching your new homes, such as a few clothes, toiletries, chargers, and things to feed your stomach. This small step will help you feel more relaxed and settled on your first day in the new house.
Unpack your stuff
You are finally in your new home sweet home but, there is still a lot to be done. Moving is incomplete without unpacking your stuff and settling in your new house. Don’t skimp on unpacking, and take your time to unpack things. You can’t do it all in a day anyways. You can follow the following steps if you are not sure where to start.
- You can start with setting up your kitchen. Setting up the kitchen will give you a sense of accomplishment and motivation to focus on the remaining parts of your house.
- Create a soothing environment to help you relax while unpacking. You either tune into your favorite playlist or find some options online.
- Unbox your stuff gradually in a non-tiring manner. Empty a box or two at a time and then take a small break. This technique will help you preserve your energy while unpacking.
- Have a family meal in your new house. It will help make your new house feel like home.
Moving houses-like getting a tooth pulled is one of those challenges that almost everyone must face. It can be an exciting yet tiresome, stressful, and drab task for everyone. However, you can make this task a little easier and smoother through some moving tips. This article mentions a few of these moving tips that can help you ensure that everything is in order before, during, and after the moving process. These tips will make your move the least stressful, easier, and quicker.
Leave a Reply