If you are a homeowner, it’s likely that you’ve tried to save money by doing home repair or renovation projects yourself. With the right instruction or tutorials from the Internet and the right tools from a home improvement store you are often ready to tackle a new project on the weekend. Simple repairs and improvements to the home’s decor are often a big success.
There are some repairs, though, that are typically best left to a trained professional. One of the areas where it’s best to hire a certified technician is for electrical repairs. Working with electricity can be dangerous, and mistakes in wiring and other electrical upgrades can result in injury or even fatalities. There is a high potential for shock, fire or other major problems when electrical repairs are not done right.
Although you might be able to install a new ceiling fan, there are other repairs that should be done only by a qualified electrician.
Circuit Breakers Always Tripping
A circuit breaker might trip because there are too many high wattage appliances or items plugged into the same circuit. To avoid problems, try to not use the appliances simultaneously or rearrange things so they are plugged in on different circuits if you can. If the problems continue, you may want to call an electrician to add an additional circuit or possibly upgrade the electrical service in your home.
A Buzzing Sound Coming from Outlet or Switch
If you hear a buzzing sound coming from your wall switch or a power outlet, that’s a sign that there is a problem that needs quick attention. Sometimes this can be due to arcing, which is where the current jumps between metal parts instead of flowing smoothly though the path it’s supposed to take.
When you receive an electric shock, it’s a reminder of just how dangerous electricity can be. Typically, these occur when you are in the process of turning something on or off. You could test whether the shock is from the appliance or the item that is plugged in, but there’s a chance you will be shocked again when you plug the new test item in. There may be a problem with a wire shorting, so it’s best to call an electrician on this.
Burning Smell or Odd Smell
If you ever sense a burning smell or an odd smell coming from an outlet, it’s probably time to call your electrician. A short can cause a spark, in turn creating the smell and possibly an electrical fire. You might also see a blackened area on the wall or the switch plate. If this occurs, do not use the outlet and turn off that circuit breaker until the issue is fully fixed.
While it is possible to do simple electrical installations of a new fan or light, it’s important to hire an electrician when you have electrical problems in your home. With electricity you can’t just ignore the problems and hope they go away. You need to hire a professional to make things right.