Any Startup starts with the founder or co-founder’s idea that slowly develops and takes the shape of a huge company. The startup companies are opening the employment opportunities for millennial job seekers. They have however adopted the contemporary system of hiring on-board employees rather than traditional ways. They want employees with more attitude than experience. It is, therefore, challenging for maximum job seekers to fit in all the requirements of their checklist. The job seekers can follow some plans to stay high in the game and have a competitive advantage in the recruitments of startup companies.
- Have a game plan- make yourself marketable by assessing the problematic and profit-making skills. Assessing salary requirements is also important. Research for startup companies that look promising than others.
- Grit- grit is the prerequisite for applying for a job in a startup company. Startups have uncertain futures and high risk of failures, therefore, without grit it shall become difficult to survive as frustration level shall be high most of the time.
- Ready for challenges- before applying for the job make yourself ready for the challenges that startups impose. Paid leaves, 9 to 5 working time and long breaks do not exist in startups. In their pattern of working, a call for preparing a presentation at 11pm is quite normal.
- Desire to learn and explore the possibilities- startup job requirements often have an exclusive list of requirements from seekers. They want them to be highly skilled and multi-tasking. They also look for people who are ready to learn and explore the learning possibilities. Therefore, before applying check on self and the hunger for learning.
- Thrive in ambiguity- most of the startups generally lack process and procedure. One therefore needs the skill of thriving through ambiguity. Surviving through transition period shall make a mark and keep your game a notch higher. Also creating the process initially shall be necessary and also most required.
- Working in a team of collaborators- startups are entrenched with so many unknown challenges that working in a team of collaborators become necessary. Working in such an environment requires empathy that includes hearing and responding to others and putting self-taught explicitly. One must possess such characteristics before applying.
- Passion for job- it’s hard to thrive through startups without a passion for it. If you are not passionate about your job, there is no point in staying in it. Passion can come from any part of the business may it be product or person. But it is necessary to have a long game in the organization.
- Be a risk-taker- startups can be a big gamble where most of the decisions are uncertain and bear risks. Risk-taking capabilities can make startup employees super-creative, therefore be a risk-taker to expand your scope.
- Give yourself a competitive edge- having knowledge of latest techniques, gadgets and software can be game changing. Startups are gambling on the online platform and require employees who can easily thrive through the jargons and requirements. Such qualities provide a competitive edge to the job seekers.
- Build a strong Network- stay perceptive and develop a strong network of staff, clients, co-workers and suppliers. In the modern world work pattern, having a strong network can only take you to the peak. Attend seminars in your niche and meet people to make a strong network of efficient people.
For building a competitive advantage in startup companies having the above qualities is of utmost importance. The qualities can make your job resume stronger and land you up in one the most progressive startups. Therefore, explore yourself and make the necessary changes required to be on top of the recruitment game.